Wednesday, December 11, 2013

It's over, and I want to cry!!

{{WARNING: Do NOT read this around young children!!}}






So, Holly is 9 1/2. I had a feeling this would be her last Christmas where the magic of Santa would be a reality for her.
Where she would walk into the shops and tell Santa what she would like on Christmas morning to be waiting for her under the tree. 
Where I could bribe her with good behaviour otherwise Santa will put her on the naughty list.
Where I had to answer tricky questions about Santas house and elves. (Which were getting REALLY tricky!)

Nope......

The secret has been outted to her. 

For the last 10 days (approx), she has been coming home upset. She said that all the kids in class keep yelling out "Santa's not real, it's your mum and dad!!" 

*sigh*

She already knew, she just needed the confirmation from us. 

I tried talking to the teacher, asking her what I should do. She said all but 2 children in the class, already knew the secret. She tried to reinforce the 'If you don't believe, you don't receive' saying. But, at this age, they saw through the vagueness. 

So, last night, hubby and I sat down and told her the truth.

It sucked.

It was HARD!

She cried. Not a 'you've been lying to me' cry. But a 'you just killed my Christmas spirit' cry.

It tore me in two. But deep down, she already knew. She said she knew, but just didn't want to believe it.

I thought, this year will be rotten for her, by the way she was acting, it was like we had gone and slaughtered The Jolly Man ourselves. However, a few hours, and an Ice Cream, later, she came good. She grabbed a catalogue and started circling toys and things that she thinks Santa should bring her and the boys. 

Now I have my very own, living, breathing elf! 


I am sad that the secret couldn't hold out for just one more Christmas, but, I know I can trust her to keep it a secret around the boys, and I know I now have one less child who will be asking me impossible questions. 

It is moments like this that I realise my children are growing up. I know she is only the first of my kids to find this information out, but it wont be long before they all become suss. So I am going to make sure I enjoy this time with them even more. 

1 comment:

  1. Oooh thats tough! Glad shes ok with it now though, luckily I still have quite a while before I need to worry about that :)

    ReplyDelete